If you’re tired of the same old side dishes at your campfire cookouts, it’s time to try something new and exciting. What better way to shake things up than with delicious campfire sweet potatoes? This unique twist on a classic side dish will have everyone asking for seconds.
– Sweet potatoes: Choose medium-sized sweet potatoes that are firm and free from blemishes.
– Butter: Use unsalted butter for a rich and creamy flavor.
– Brown sugar: This adds a touch of sweetness to the sweet potatoes.
– Cinnamon: Sprinkle a little cinnamon on top for that extra burst of flavor.
– Marshmallows (optional): For those who love a gooey, sweet topping, marshmallows are the perfect addition.
- Prepare the sweet potatoes: Scrub the sweet potatoes thoroughly to remove any dirt or debris. Pat them dry with a paper towel. Leave the skin on for added flavor and nutrients. Preheat your campfire grill or grate.
- Wrap in foil: Individually wrap each sweet potato tightly in aluminum. Ensure the foil is completely sealed to prevent juices from leaking.
- Cook over the campfire: Place the foil-wrapped sweet potatoes directly on the grill or grate over the campfire. Cook for about 45 minutes to an hour or until the sweet potatoes are tender when pierced with a fork. You can rotate them occasionally for even cooking.
- Add the toppings: Carefully remove the sweet potatoes from the fire and unwrap the foil once the sweet potatoes are cooked. Cut a small slit in the middle of each sweet potato and gently squeeze the ends to open it up. Add a pat of butter, a sprinkle of brown sugar, and a dash of cinnamon to each sweet potato. Add a few marshmallows on top for those who want an extra indulgent treat.
- Finish cooking: Place the sweet potatoes back on the grill or grate and cook for 5-10 minutes, or until the butter has melted and the toppings have caramelized. Be careful not to let the marshmallows burn.
- Serve and enjoy: Remove the sweet potatoes from the fire and let them cool slightly before serving. The sweet potatoes should be soft, tender, deliciously sweet, and buttery. Serve them as a side dish with your favorite grilled meats, or enjoy them as a tasty snack.
These campfire sweet potatoes are a fantastic way to elevate your outdoor cooking experience. Combining the smoky campfire flavors with the natural sweetness of the potatoes and the indulgent toppings creates an irresistible dish. So gather around the fire, grab your foil-wrapped sweet potatoes, and get ready to enjoy a unique twist on a classic side dish.
Contact us today so we can help you find the right RV for your next family vacation.