Who doesn’t love camping in the spring? The temperatures mid-day are perfect, there are fewer bugs, and the campgrounds aren’t quite as busy. Plus, if you plan your trip right, you’ll still be able to see many of the animals that are more active in the winter and cooler temperatures. Regardless of where the road takes you, spring camping promises to be refreshing, fun, and full of adventure.
But before you head out on your big trip, make sure you have a menu of healthy, quick meals planned. This chicken and veggies kebab recipe is super easy to make ahead of time and can be made on the grill, over a campfire, or even on a portable grill.
For the marinade:
- ¼ cup olive oil
- ¼ cup chopped basil
- ¼ cup chopped parsley
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 lemon, juiced
- 1 teaspoon salt
To build the skewers:
- ½ lb chicken (boneless, skinless thighs work best), cut into 1 inch pieces
- 8 oz whole mushrooms
- 8 oz cherry tomatoes
- 2-3 green onions, cut into 1 inch pieces
4-6 skewers, either metal or wood. Soak wood skewers in water for at least 30 minutes before grilling to prevent them from burning.
1. Combine marinade ingredients in a plastic storage bag. Add the chicken pieces and thoroughly coat. Seal the bag and marinate for at least an hour. This step can be done ahead of time and in fact the further in advance you do it the more flavorful your meal.
2. Fire up your grill or get your campfire going. You’ll be cooking the kebabs over medium-high to high heat.
3. Build the kebabs by threading the chicken and vegetables onto your skewers, alternating ingredients.
4. Grill the kebabs over medium-high to high heat, turning occasionally so they cook evenly until the chicken is cooked through–about 10 minutes total.
5. Remove from the grill and enjoy!
Want to give this spring camping recipe a try, but don’t have a camper? Get it touch with us to learn more about RVing, shop RVs for sale, and even learn about RV financing. It’s the easiest way to get in the RV of your dreams without feeling the pinch.
Recipe source: Rei.com